Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Washington places appropriate for the holiday

As we break for the Thanksgiving holiday, I scrounged around for a list of feast-related Washington place names. Some were familiar to me already -- including my sixth grade campground! Others took a little searching. But that's not surprising considering this area was settled 250 years and 2500 miles away from the site of the first Thanksgiving. It was, in many ways, a world apart.
  • Plymouth. A small settlement in Benton County across from Umatilla, Oregon.
  • Pilgrim Firs. A campground near Port Orchard in Kitsap County.
  • Mayflower Park Hotel. Luxury accomodations in Seattle.
  • Gobbler's Knob. A small peak in Mount Rainier National Park.
  • Cranberry Lake. I found four of them: one in Mason County, one in Skagit County, and two in Island County. A second helping of cranberries, I suppose!
  • Cranberry Slough. In King County near Black Diamond.
  • Home. A community in Pierce County.
That's probably enough. If I was desperate, I'd reach into Oregon place names and bring out the Yam[hill], too.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

No comments: